Asked by: Anonymous
Dopamine is implicated in many neural, cognitive and motor processes.
Some of these include:
- Detection of short-latency visual stimuli
- Detection of novel/salient events and stimuli
- Learning signal: indicates reward prediction error (discrepancy between expected outcome and actual outcome)
- Modulation of direct/indirect motor pathways
- Goal-directed movement
- Hedonic aspects of reward
- Reinforcing properties of drugs
- Indirect modulation of other neurotransmitter systems
- DA dysregulation implicated in mood disorders, psychiatric disorders and neurodegenerative diseases.